Thursday, February 20, 2014

Road Trip


The topic of the month was road trip.  I thought, "where would I like to go", which led me to "where have I been?"

This is my first road trip, back in either summer '79 or '80.  I had never been to the ocean, neither had my best friend Janice.  So, we got out a map and figured out where the closest beach was and went.  

The next summer, we went to the Smoky Mountains, Jan and I, packed into my little red dodge colt.

Years passed, life called for me to get serious.  The next road trip was from San Antonio to St. Louis, to escape.

Then a few good trips:
The man that is my soul mate and I took a trip to Big Bend, 

Then to Maine,

and a few year later, with a two year old Grace and Steven's daughter, Maria we got to go to Alaska.

These days, with two kids and a couple of home businesses and homeschooling, our trips are limited to the beach.  Our trips are satisfying and fun.  We love to watch the waves and play in the sand and do a bit of beach combing.

We have no plans to travel.  Our daughter loves to stay home, and has a busy life here.  We might get in a beach trip this year. Or a trip back to the farm in Illinois. 
 Our son would love to travel, I think, so maybe in a few years we can make longer trips.  
I would love to go to the Grand Canyon, or Glacier State Park or maybe even Scotland.  And I would love to go back to Alaska to visit my sister, Marie (or ***** as I call her).  Those are the do-able trips.  I would love to go to the Galapagos Islands or see the Great Wall of China or even see if we had relatives still in Syria.   

But for now, those road trips are in my mind, in my future, and in my dreams.
In the present, let's ride!


And now, lets hear from others in this wonderful group and where they want to go:
pencilfox www.pencilfox.com
Catherine Witherell:  http://happydayart.typepad.com

8 comments:

  1. Definitely some fun trips!

    Where is the farm in Illinois? I grew up in a little town on the northern part of the state, Freeport. My grandparents used to farm just outside of Hanover.

    Thanks for all the great photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The farm is in Southern Illinois, down near Cairo. Long ago and far away. But, I still feel like a farmer. I love the dirt (the little we have here) and planting things.

      Delete
  2. I love imagining all the places I hope to go someday :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the traveling will be in my mind until the kids are grown.....

      Delete
  3. I especially like that last photo, so "vintage" and looks like many from my own lifetime. My dad had a white Ford Falcon when I was a kid and then he got a red orange '65 Mustang. The Mustang never took us on a road trip longer than over to a friend's house. The Falcon really got some miles put on her. Such good memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a '67 plymouth belvedere, my first car. I got it for $300. Drove it three years and sold it for $700. Loved that car.

      Delete
  4. hey. you. yeah, you. this is your sister, ***** .
    [you funny girl, you.]

    i LOVE that photo of you with your old road car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHAHAHA! I loved that car. Saw one here in cherry condition.

      Some day, we will travel......

      Delete