Thursday, April 6, 2017

Cats and more cats (part 3)

Trapping involves a lot of effort.  First, I have to make an appointment with the humane society. The location is an hour (in good traffic) from our house.  Our local shelter has loaned me the traps and wished me much success.  So, I put the traps at various locations where I have seen cats and bait them with food.  At various times throughout the evening, I look (with binoculars) to see if the traps are sprung.  If I have a cat, I move the trap close to the house.  Before 600 am (yes, in the MORNING), I get up, get dressed in clothes I have laid out, pack the traps loaded with cats in the car, put in cat carriers and take off for Austin.  If I am lucky, it takes an hour to get there.  This is all without COFFEE so I don't wake up everyone in the house.  I sign in, fill out paperwork, put tags on the traps/carriers, and they take the cats and carriers.  I travel back home (in traffic, by this time).  Then around 300 in the afternoon, I make the return trip.  Pick up cats and get stuck in Austin traffic.  Coming home takes at least 1 1/2 hours, maybe more.  I drop off the females with Thundering Paws (THANK YOU) then take the males back to my place to over night them in their traps or carriers.  The next day, I can release my males, and go to Thundering Paws to get my females and release them.  Yes, mine.  I am taking ownership.

Tonight, I fed my regulars.  The four tabbies were waiting for me.  There was no competition between them, they shared bowls, and went back and forth between the two bowls.  Then through the underbrush came Cookie.  She timidly approached.  Bob stepped back from the bowl and she ate, then they all started eating together again.  I went to set traps, then came back.  The bowls were all empty, and Frank was sitting by them.  I went back to the house and got more food for Frank.  He started eating, then Cookie came out and brushed against him and ate with him.  Bob came over and watched them, but didn't interfere, or make any sounds.  I felt good that I saw them all eat.  And no aggressive moves between them.

Maybe I will get some new cats in the traps tonight.

I am looking to trap a siamese and a skinny white cat I saw the first week, but have not seen in a while.......then I am done!

No comments:

Post a Comment