Sunday, April 9, 2017

Cats and more cats (part 4)

Since the time in which I started writing, published a couple of these posts, and life happening, I have continued to trap.  I caught the siamese cat, which then disappeared.  I talked to some neighbors about what I am doing so they would be aware and so I could check and see if they have cats (which they do, but they have collars).  I did find out that the neighbor who moved, and whose cats I have inherited, DID neuter HIS cats and take his cats when he left, but did not trap and neuter any of the other cats he fed, so the multiple cat problem persisted.  But, I totally understand his situation; TNR is difficult.

This is my cat.  For better or for worse.  He is the offspring of one of the strays a couple of years ago. Found abandoned in the barn, bottle fed....and now our indoor cat.  He sleeps in my chair, and anyplace he thinks may be comfortable (like my computer when I forget to close it).
KitKat, then

KitKat, now




But back to the outdoor cats.  I trapped a total of 9 cats.  The humane society aged them all at 2 years, except Frank, who they said was 4.  All were healthy.  One cat went to a friend for a shop cat.  That left me with 8.  I was seeing 6 of them consistently.  4 tabbies, a bicolor and a calico.  Bob, Sally Rose, Logan, and Tiger were the names settled on for the tabbies.  Frank was my big bicolor, and Cookie was the calico.

Bob, the biggest tabby, is the head of the group.  Pretty much, the others defer to him.  Last night, he batted some of the others away as he ate if they tried to share his bowl.  He ate his fill, then stretched, and walked to the nearest tree, washed up and dozed.  Tiger is almost as big as Bob, but just eats and runs away. Sometimes he will linger in the area, but not close to the others.   Logan, I think, is the female I trapped.  I am not sure which is the male and which is the female between Logan and Tiger.  I trapped them both on the same day, and couldn't distinguish between them at the time.  Now, I can see distinct differences.  Sally Rose is smaller than the other tabbies, and has orange coloration in her stripes.  She is the most interactive of the tabbies within their group, sitting and lounging with the other cats.


Bob and Tiger


Bob and Sally Rose, and Cookie.  Logan in the background.

Then there is Frank.  He is the biggest of the cats, and seems the most easy going.  He is around the most, and I see him, even when it is not feeding time.  He seems to be watching me.  He is the favorite of Cookie.  Cookie is the one who bunts the other cats.  She seems to want attention, feeding in the same bowls with various members of the group.  She is constantly with Frank, and is the cat we can get the closest to.
Frank

Frank and Cookie

Then. last night, for the first time since I trapped her (two weeks ago), the "torby" showed up to eat.  The humane society labeled her a torby, and I really can't say, even after reading all the definitions. She hung out in the brush while the others ate, then come over at the end.  I was glad to see that she had survived and just was very shy.   
Laura


And last, after Laura showed, came Cream, the siamese.  She is a tiny adult cat, weighing in at less than 5 lbs.  She ate, guardedly, and I left while she was still eating to give her some peace.

Cream
So, that is my clan for the present.  I ask myself, what next?  So, for the time being, I will feed them, make them a place to hang out, and hope they stay safe.  If any of them become socialized, I may try to find them GOOD homes.  

Not ever having been a cat person, it has been interesting to watch them and learn about them.  I will still be hanging out and trying to get them to accept me, so check back for updates in a week or so.  



No comments:

Post a Comment